If you would like to see what Beachbody (the creator of the programs) recommends they have a cool chart the will explain it here.
The first program I ever did and the reason I fell in love with being healthy in the first place. Tony has that sense of humor that is just perfect for me. I lost 35 lbs. doing P90X and will be forever in Tony’s debt for helping me get off the couch.
P90X Bare Minimum Equipment Requirements:
P90X has all kinds of routines in it that will work your whole body. I have linked to a kit of three because it’s the cheapest option rather than buying three individually and you will need the different tension sizes as you progress through the workouts. Bands are great for on the road workouts too. They are easy to pack and light to carry. I have about one band of each resistance at my house which is somewhere around 10 bands. You don’t need that many but if you are on the road a lot and don’t want to carry dumbbells around it’s something to consider.
Recommend P90X equipment: These are in order of importance
- P90X Chin-Up Bar: If you want to get the most bang for your buck you will need a pull up bar. They fit in any standard door and are awesome. I started out using one and can’t imagine going through the program without one.
- Dumbbells: The specific weight will depend on your level of strength but I would start out with 10, 15, and 20. You can always get more if you feel you need to. You may be able to find some cheap at garage sales or craigslist. My dad actually filled old milk gallons with water and used those. My point is find something that works until you can build your dumbbell collection if you have to.
- Heart Rate Monitor with Strap: When you are doing the intense plyometric workout that Tony has in store you will need to know if you are reaching the intensity level that you need to be. Maybe you will be over your ideal level of intensity and need to take it down a notch. You won’t know where your intensity level is at if you don’t have a heart rate monitor to tell you. I am linking to one that is $60 but you may be able to find a cheaper one at Walmart.
- Yoga Blocks: Yoga X is an hour and a half of sweaty stretching. Your body will feel great after it’s over but while you are doing it you are going to need all the support you can get. It will keep you from falling over and help you get in a good stretch. I started out using yoga blocks and it will make Yoga X days 10 times more enjoyable if you use them.
- Yoga Mat: If I am at home I will never use a Yoga Mat. I feel like my carpet is soft enough and that works for me. However I do own two Yoga Mats, one for me and one for the wife. We use them when we travel. If you are going to be working out on a hard service you will need a yoga mat. Let me say that again, you will need a mat.
Don’t feel like you have to get everything on the list right away. Start with what makes sense and add equipment as you go if need be. The main thing is to just get started. These are all linked to Beachbody where you can purchase the equipment and I am paid a commission if you decide to make a purchase. You also will need track your progress throughout your journey and the P90X worksheets will help you keep track of your progress.
This program is fantastic for gaining muscle mass. Sagi Kalev created this routine and let me tell you it really works. I am using this program right now in my own training and I love it. The workouts are a little shorter then P90X and you will be lifting heavier. It is a different style of exercise that I actually really enjoy. It’s a different kind of training and that is designed to give you different results. If you are looking to get big and gain a lot of muscle mass then Body Beast is what you need. Read my Body Beast Review to get more of an idea of what it’s like to do the program.
Body Beaset Minimum Equipment Requirements:
You will not be able to just get by with bands for this workout. If bands is all you can afford then I would wait until you have the money to get the dumbbells that you need. Get a good selection I recommend starting with 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30’s. You will need to get more as you go through the workout but it’s a good place to start. If you don’t have the space for all those weights or want to buy them all at once there is a great set made by bowflex that you can get on Amazon. They are a little pricey at around $300 but worth it in my opinion. You can do almost any move that Sagi does but modified for the dumbbells.
You will need to be able to do pull ups in this routine. Bands will not cut it.
Recommended Body Beast Equipment:
- EZ Curl Bar with Weight Set: I invested in the EZ Bar when I first started Body Beast and I am glad that I did. There are certain moves that can only be done with the EZ Bar which you can attempt to modify with the dumbbells but ultimately will not have the same effects on muscle growth.
- Premium Stability Ball: The ball will be used as your workout bench. I like using a ball because it adds to the workout an element of balance and technique which will help you from getting injured. You could spend the extra for a bench but the ball is cheaper and works better in my opinion.
The Body Beast workout is excellent for building muscle if you have the right equipment. Don’t limit yourself or you potential by settling when it comes to your equipment needs. If you are going to do this program do it right and get what you need. Use the Body Beast worksheets to keep track of your progress as well.
This is a cardio based workout routine that really is insane. It is 60 day program that focuses on max interval training. Which basically means that they make you run around a lot with very little rest. This is not for Beginners.
Insanity Equipment Needs:
Awesome right? You really don’t need any equipment to complete this program. However I will recommend the Results and Recovery Formula. If you plan on working out to Insanity you need the extra carbs that are in this drink to help you recover. You don’t want to get done with a workout and be sluggish for the rest of the day because you used up all your stored energy.
The ladies love Chalean Johnson who created this program. This is a high energy fast paced routine that will keep things fun and fat burning. Chalean plays some upbeat music while you work out which is nice as well.
Turbo Fire Equipment Needs:
You can make this more intense by getting the weighted gloves to put on your hands as you throw them around but you don’t really need any equipment for this routine. Once you get the program and try it out you can decide what equipment you want to add if any.
This program should be good for just about anyone. It’s all about repetition and light weights. This is a 90 day program for the beginner or intermediate experience levels.
Les Mills Pump Equipment needs:
That is all the equipment you will need. If you buy the challenge pack what you need is included in the price of the pack and you will end up saving money buying it in the pack rather than individually.
Beachbody has put together bundles called challenge packs that will give you everything you need to be successful. It includes a coach, some equipment, and Shakeology, which will simplify your nutrition. The thing about these packs is that they are only available to customers and new coaches. Existing coaches are not eligible for the challenge pack discounts. It makes the most financial sense to get a challenge pack because Beachbody gives a discount for buying in bundles.
Look at the Challenge Pack Comparison chart to find out more about the specific program you are interested in and what comes with that specific challenge pack. It will show exactly how much you will save and help you make a decision on which pack is best for your.
If you need any help figuring out which pack is right for you please let me know and I will help you narrow the search.